Friday, April 3, 2020

Homeschool Checklist: Switching Priorities

Dear New Homeschool Parent,

As a homeschool parent for almost 10 years, I really worried about putting my kids in public school this last fall.  I wondered if I had taught them enough or if they would be academically or socially behind.  I worried that my teaching methods had been too lax and that the structure of school would overwhelm my kids.

My common response to the question of how school was going was that I was behind.  I hadn't checked all the boxes or done enough in my estimation.  One day a grandfather at my son's baseball game asked me if my kids were learning because he must have sensed my hesitation.  His daughter was a homeschool mom and had surely shared some of her own struggles with her dad. I had to stop and evaluate my week based on this simple standard.

Yes, my kids were learning.

Actually, they love to learn.

From that day on I started looking at my homeschool adventure with new priorities and a new checklist.

  • Spend meaningful time with my kids
  • Did my kids learn something new today
  • What character/values did we work on
  • Read together


During this unprecedented season, there are things beyond the ABCs that only you can teach your children.  There are life lessons, experiences, and gifts that only you can impart to your children.  Don't miss this opportunity to teach what only you can teach them in this season.

With love,
Ruthie

PS.  My kids did great in school this year.  Turns out this simple approach works!

No comments:

Post a Comment