Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Perfect Peace

Perfect Peace is more than just a spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down. The true peace that comes from God IS the healing balm. 

Don’t worry about anything, but in everything,
 through prayer and petition with thanksgiving; let your request be made known to God.
And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought,
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

I see these words in my Bible and then look all around me and it is no wonder many struggle to feel that peace that surpasses every thought.  As a nation we are engaged in a war, both a physical one across the seas and a spiritual one here at home, that is tearing us apart.  Cancer is spreading like a plague among our loved ones, church members and strangers too.  Relationships are strained in the midst of financial insecurity, marital unfaithfulness, and the pressure of uncertain futures. Yet Jesus promised

Peace I leave with you.  My peace I give to you. 
 I do not give to you as the world gives. 
 Your heart must not be troubled or fearful.”  John 14:27

Don’t think for a moment that was real easy for Jesus to say!  He shared these words of comfort with his disciples on the eve of his death.  He made this promise in the shadow of the suffering he was going to endure on the cross in our behalf.  His future was not uncertain, he knew what lie ahead and yet he promised peace for those who trust in Him. 

You will keep in perfect peace the mind that is dependent on You. Isaiah 26:3a

Like never before in my life, I desire to be a peacemaker.  I used to revel in a good debate or argument, especially if I won, but I have lost my taste for it.  It no longer holds the satisfaction it used to.  In Psalms we are encouraged to “seek peace and pursue it” and again in Romans “if possible, on your part, live at peace with everyone”, now that is a tall order if I ever heard one!  Currently I am doing a study of the book of James and in it I came across this little nugget “But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peace-loving, gentle, compliant, full of mercy….” and in seeking this sort of wisdom we are blessed.  Not only are we given enough peace for ourselves, but we overflow with joy to share it with the hurting world around us.

May the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. 
 The Lord be with all of you. 
2Thessalonians 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment